I’m Catriona, the owner of Patchwork Petcare, but you can call me Cat.
I live with my partner, one very cheeky ferret, four beautiful snakes, and three tarantulas who make visitors uncomfortable.
Animals are a huge part of my life, and always have been. I was lucky enough to have been born into a large family of 4 humans, and I-don’t-even-know-how-many animals. My family was always passionate about rescuing those who have been overlooked due to health problems, difficult behaviour, or simply being too old. So I learned, from a very young age, the importance of being gentle, patient, and empathetic towards all animals, and could never imagine a life without them.
I gained my Diploma in Animal Management from Sparsholt College Hampshire back in 2014, and have remained working with animals ever since. I also have a strong interest in animal physiology and nutrition, and have long been an advocate of holistic care and natural feeding.
My passion for animals has led me through some vastly different jobs and volunteer positions over the years, from the age of 16, including rescue and rehoming centres, zoological collections, kennels, catteries, farms and equestrian yards. I have had the privilege of working with an array of animals; wild, exotic and domestic, and have learned so much from each experience.
I had considered running a pet care business for many years, and after facing redundancy in August 2020 (thanks, COVID!), I thought to myself, “what’s the worst that could happen?” Or at least something to that effect, if not a bit less delicately put. And so, here we are!
I can’t wait to meet you and all of your wonderful pets.
See you soon!
We are based in Prestonpans and operate within a 5 mile radius as standard.
This includes Musselburgh, Tranent, Whitecraig, Ormiston, Gladsmuir and Longniddry areas.
However, we are able to be flexible on this and may be able to provide services just outside of this area, depending on availability and the type of services requested.
If you are outside of our standard operating area, please get in touch to find out what we can do.
Of course! Patchwork Petcare is insured with Petplan Sanctuary.
Certificate available to view on request.
We do recommend that you read our Terms & Conditions and ensure that your pets and property are suitably insured. Please check with your insurance company that your pets are covered while in the care of someone else.
We are DBS checked, and Pet First Aid certified.
Certificates are available to view on request.
Many steps have been taken to reduce security risks to your pets and property, including:
- All client keys are number coded – your keys will never carry your personal details.
- Our vehicle will not carry any logos or signage, so it won’t be obvious that you aren’t home.
- If you are away for longer, we will also turn lights on/off and close/open curtains as a standard.
- We will ask for a detailed list of expected visitors to your property (eg. gardeners, neighbours) while you are away, and will contact yourself and police immediately should we see anything suspicious.
- All horses to be ridden will be subject to a trial period to determine whether or not we are the right match, and will not be ridden off-site (school/field only) before this has been determined.
- All dogs are legally required to be microchipped (if exempt we will require proof of this) and wear ID tags during walks. Subject to a trial period, dogs will only be let off-lead with your prior written consent and if it is deemed safe to do so.
In the unlikely event that your pet becomes ill or injured while in our care, we will transport them to either your usual vet (wherever possible) or emergency/out of hours vet. You will always be contacted as soon as possible.
As part of your welcome pack, you will receive our veterinary treatment authorisation form. This is to ensure that care can be obtained in your absence should your pet become ill or injured and you cannot be contacted.
Any information we hold regarding you, your pets, your property, and your security systems are all stored on Time To Pet ‘s secure servers, in datacenters with 24/7 security, using 128 bit level encryption.